Tuesday 4 March 2014

An Insight in my Studies of Audio Engineering at SAE Zurich - or "How I finally found my vocation"

So, that's really it. I still can't believe it, but I'm officially a student at SAE Zurich in Switzerland now and my second day there has been a lot of fun. Slowly but surely our class of 12 guys, all coming from different musical backgrounds, is getting to know each other better and first friendships start to form.

Even though yesterday and today were just "orientation" and "introduction", there's so much to talk about right now, as it is the case with every new school and/or studies, but I can't possibly fit all I want to write in this blog entry. 

Starting tomorrow we'll be hearing about audio basics, especially how sound works, how hearing works, what frequencies, amplitudes and phases are and all that funky jazz. But what I'm really looking forward to is the first practical work, even if it's just at one of the workstations in the "Edit Area" (EA for short). But I am fully aware of how important theory and basics are.

Apart from that I've started with aural training today. We have to do 10 hours of aural training in the diploma course, but I reckon that starting early and doing more aural training than necessary isn't the worst idea I've had. 

So, my classmate Tosi, a DJ from Switzerland, and I were checking out the aural training after a short lunch break. The first exercises were about hearing boosts and cuts of 12dB at certain frequencies (31, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000 and 16000 Hz) in pink noise and in music. I can tell you, it's hard. A couple of times I got it right 8 or 9 times out of 10 and one time I got it right only once. The average was about 5 out of 10 though. I'm coming from the performing side of music and I never had to worry about this. Considering that I have never done ANY aural training at all and I never consciously listened to certain frequencies the result isn't that bad. On the other hand there's still a lot of aural traing ahead of me until I'm content with what I can hear and how good I am at it.

Anyway, that's all for today. The blog might change in the next few days or even weeks, but bear with it.

Cheers and good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment